Tuesday, March 15, 2016

You Learn Something New Every Day

So today I began my second round of Vidaza.  My first round was last month and that's when my platelets dropped to 20 and I needed a transfusion.   I remembered all my MDS friends telling me this would happen during the first or second week so I was totally prepared.

Naturally, I had a MAJOR reaction to the platelets and broke out in hives which they couldn't control for over an hour!  Fine.  Whatever.  Honestly, nothing surprises me anymore.  Because of my reaction, they only gave me half a bag of platelets.

Half a bag of platelets turned out to be plenty because at my next check-up, my platelets were up to 38!

WOO-HOO, SOMEONE ALERT THE MEDIA!

Well.  You can imagine my surprise when this week my platelets were back down to 22 and my doctor asked me which day I'd like to do the platelet transfusion.  Seriously??!?!?  No day.  I would like to choose no day please!  I don't know if I've mentioned it before but transfusions gross me out to the point of nausea.  I can't even look at the bag-o-platelets or I start gagging.

I don't understand.  I thought your platelets drop only the first time you have chemo with Vidaza. You know, the very first time. Turns out that I misunderstood.  Your platelets DO drop the first week you start Vidaza, only it happens EVERY first week you start Vidaza!  That means transfusions once or twice a month!!! (Please Note: After I post this I'll be taking a Zofran!)

So tomorrow I get transfused again and I have resolved to consider violence if they don't give me some SERIOUS pre-meds to avoid another hive debacle like last time.  The only consolation is that my doctor has allowed me to keep my IV in all week because I really have no veins left so we won't have to go through the dreaded stick and poke and thread followed by a band-aid and a call for another nurse to try.

My doctor told me today that I need to get a pick line.  Yet another foreign thing going into my body which also grosses me out. And if you are wondering, yes, I did break from writing this post so I could take a friggin Zofran!  The reasoning behind this is that chemo destroys your veins.  Maybe everyone else knew this...did you?!

Well I didn't.  Guess you learn something new every day!


No comments:

Post a Comment