Friday, March 25, 2016

UPDATE TO: "Get a PICC line", they said. "You'll love it", they said.

Three days after my dressing change I ended up getting it wet in the shower.  I blow dried it immediately and didn't think it was a big deal but then I thought:  'Don't be an idiot....with your luck you'll contract the Bubonic Plague!'  So I called Sharon, my nurse who is new to the nursing game and shadows more experienced nurses.

She told me to text her a picture of the dressing, which I did, and she said she'd be right over with a senior nurse.  When they arrived the senior nurse looked at my dressing and asked me, "Do you think you accomplished anything by blow drying this?"  Ummm......


She turned out to be quite funny, quite snappy, and quite smart.  I mentioned that flushing was also pretty difficult and she looked at my PICC set up and said "This has got to go.  Did you see this huge kink here?"  Ummm....  She told me that's what I need to look for whenever I have problems flushing the line.

I told her about my heart palpitations and how I slept.  She explained that that can happen with some patients especially people like me who sleep with that arm tucked tightly beneath their head. 

I told her my arm hurts with all those hard plastic pieces digging into my skin and she said "No wonder!" Quickly and efficiently she removed one of my extenders (For some reason I had the 2 lines attached to 2 short extenders which were attached to 2 long extenders). The way she hooked it up, the extenders were not as long as they had been but still long enough to get the job done, and all that extra plastic, tubing, caps and clamps were suddenly gone.  She then added a padded bandage to the underside of my arm to prevent the remaining plastic pieces from digging into my skin.
 Image result for POOF  I instantly felt more comfortable; a lot less pain.

Wait--there's more!  Without my even telling this magical nurse that my arm band constantly slides down into the crook of my arm, she noticed the imprint of the netting there and said, "I see your PICC cover keeps sliding down.  Here, I'm gonna show you a better way to do this."  And she did!  My cover NEVER slips down now and overall the PICC line situation seems a lot more tolerable.  I still don't love having a PICC line but maybe I don't hate it anymore either.
  
Who knew?

3 comments:

  1. I had a picc line in my right arm for months then it stop working so they had to put another one in the left arm and that arm blew up it was sore couldnt really move it they thought i had a blood clot which i think i did had to have shots in my stomach 2 times a day. They had to really drug me to get the other picc line in

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a picc line in my right arm for months then it stop working so they had to put another one in the left arm and that arm blew up it was sore couldnt really move it they thought i had a blood clot which i think i did had to have shots in my stomach 2 times a day. They had to really drug me to get the other picc line in

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing. I need to read more of these. Today I need to go take a class on PICC lines for my wife.

    ReplyDelete