Wednesday, January 13, 2016

We All Good Now?



OK so I've been on short term disability since October.  My platelets, hemoglobin (HMG), white blood cells (WBC) are all good and they seem to be somewhat stable right now.  So my plan is to go back to work at the beginning of February. 

Everyone continues to ask me how I'm feeling.  "How are you feeling?",  "Come back to work when you feel better", "Hope you're feeling better.", "Glad you're better," and with a twinge of panic, and a twang of irritation, I wonder what everyone is expecting from me?  Not to put too fine a point on it, but last time I checked cancer was a chronic illness. 

I don't know about my fellow MDS-ers but the problem with MY MDS is that my immune system is jacked.  It's weak and extremely bitchy toward me.  We DO NOT get along.  On top of this, I have a secondary disease called Eosinophilia which is the main contributor of my sometimes crippling muscle and joint pain among other things.  My immune system and eosinophilia also happen to be in cahoots with my Phantosmia.  My body hates me. 

Sometimes its the headaches.  Sometimes its the nausea.  Other times its the inflammation.  And then there's the legendary rash that engulfed my body from head to toe for months that just ebbs and flows like the tide.  The important thing to note here is that I never really feel well.  

One of my New Year's resolutions is to beat back and somehow stave off the bitterness that often threatens to choke me out and transform me into something I don't want to be.  In all fairness, people don't know what to say right?  I mean it's awkward.  So what would be better?  "Good luck with your cancer?"  Probably not.

 







No comments:

Post a Comment